Note: This article is about variables used in template workflows. For variables used in recipe workflows, see here.
GoFormz supports variables that represent various properties of a form that are not known until the form is filled out. This includes the form’s field values, as well as various form metadata like the form’s name, completion date, etc. Variables allow you to set up dynamic rules for your forms. For example:
- Fill a form field by doing a database lookup using a value from another form field.
- Automatically send an email to a form’s owner or to an email address from the form, and include form data in the email.
- Tag your forms based on form field values and metadata.
- Auto-upload form PDFs to the appropriate Box folder based on form data, and attach form data to those PDFs as Box metadata.
Let’s go over the two types of variables -- metadata variables and field variables.
Form metadata variables provide information about the form itself. GoFormz supports the following metadata variables:
- [FORMNAME]: The name of the form.
- [COMPLETEDDATE]: The date on which this form was completed. (If the form was completed multiple times, this will be the date of the latest completion.)
- [USERNAME]: The first and last name of the user who completed the form.
- [EMAILADDRESS]: The email address of the user who completed the form.
- [OWNER_NAME]: The first and last name of the user who owns this form.
- [OWNER_EMAILADDRESS]: The email address of the user who owns this form.
In addition to the metadata variables, GoFormz supports field variables. These variables represent the value contained in a form field, using the form field name in square brackets as the syntax. So if, for instance, your form has a field called “Customer Name” -- then [Customer Name] is the variable representing that field’s value.
In addition to the workflow use cases described above, field variables can also be used within a form in calculated fields and auto-filled fields. By contrast, the metadata variables listed above cannot be used in these use cases — a different set of environment variables is used for this purpose. See the GoFormz Calculations Guide for more on setting up calculated fields.