This article is about the Form Editor in the GoFormz web interface. To learn about the mobile app Form Editor, click here.
With GoFormz, you can fill out forms on any device, including an Internet connected laptop or desktop computer. You do this via the Web Form Editor. The Web Form Editor allows you to:
- Create a new form or edit an existing form
- Navigate and fill out your form
- Complete or save the form
- Transfer the form to another user
- Perform various other actions, including printing, tagging, deleting, etc.
Accessing the Web Form Editor differs depending on your permission level:
- For many users, this is the only GoFormz web interface screen to which they have access. If you do not have permission to view Templates, Reports, or the Account Management console — then you will see this screen immediately upon logging into the GoFormz, and this will be your main web interface to your GoFormz account.
- If you have higher permission levels, you can open the Form Editor by navigating to the Forms Tab and clicking on any form name in the list or by clicking the New Form button on the upper-right. The form will open in the editor.
The form will be displayed in the center of your screen, with toolbars at the top and left side. The editor has two basic modes:
- Edit Mode (Draft Forms): In this mode, you can make changes to the form. Forms in Draft status can only be viewed in Edit Mode.
- View Mode (Completed Forms): In this mode, you can view and navigate the form, as well as perform secondary actions like printing, tagging, etc. — but you cannot edit (i.e. fill out) the form.
To edit a field, simply click on it. Depending on the field, you will either see a cursor prompting you to start typing, or a control prompting you to select or enter data (e.g. a dropdown, date selector, signature field, etc.). See here for more on form fields.
The Form Editor’s actions are divided between three areas — the header, the sidebar, and the footer. We review each of these sections below. The available actions are slightly different depending on editor mode and form status, and we annotate these differences below in parentheses.
Note that some actions may be unavailable to you, based on your permission levels.
Header: Primary Form Actions
The editor’s header contains the name and last updated timestamp of the current form. It also contains the most frequently used form actions. The following buttons are available:
- Rename: To rename the form, click the pencil icon next to the form name, type in a new name, and hit [Enter] on your keyboard.
- Complete (Edit Mode): Click the Complete button to save this form and change its status from Draft to Completed.
- Save (Edit Mode): Click the Save button to save your changes without completing the form.
- Form Dropdown: Expand the Form dropdown to view additional options (see below).
The following actions are available in the Form dropdown menu:
- New Form: Create a new form from an existing template. You will see a dialog prompting you to select the template you want to use. Once you do, an empty form based on that template will open in the editor.
- Switch Form: Open an existing form in the editor. You will see a dialog listing all forms available to you. The dialog lets you filter and search the form list to make it easier to find your form — much like the Forms Tab does. Once you find and select your form, it will open in the editor.
- Reopen (View Mode): Change the form’s status from Completed to Draft, and allow it to be edited again.
- Duplicate: Create a copy of your form and save it under a different name.
- Close: Close the form that is currently open in the editor. If the form has any unsaved changes, you will be asked if you want to save them.
- Delete: Delete this form.
Sidebar: Secondary Form Actions
These actions are available via the sidebar on the left side of the Form Editor, underneath the GoFormz logo:
- Download: Download a PDF of this form to your computer.*
- Open PDF: Send this form in your browser's native PDF viewer.*
- Transfer (Edit Mode): Transfer the form to another user.
- Public Forms (Edit Mode): Share this form to users outside of your account, or manage any existing Public Form URLs created from this form.
- Tags: Add tags to this form. Tags group similar forms together, making them easier to find later.
*Note that the PDF will reflect the state of the form when it was last saved. Any changes that you made to the form since your last save will not be reflected.
Footer: Form Navigation
The form’s footer contains all form navigation controls, like zooming and pagination. From left to right:
- Select Page: This shows the page that you are on within the form — in this case, page 1 out of 2. To navigate to a different page, type in the page number and press Enter.
- Previous/Next Page: Navigate to the previous or next page in this form using the up and down arrows.
- Zoom Out/In: Zoom out or into the form in increments.
- Fit to page: Change zoom level so that the entire form page fits in your browser window. This is useful if you want to inspect the entire page at once, to make sure you didn’t miss anything.
- Fit to width: Change zoom level so that the form width matches your browser width. This is a useful zoom level for filling out the form.